Hi, I am Dee Ann Sibley,
I live in rural Minnesota and have been creating art photography as long as I can remember. My photographic style has been described as "rich in color and emotion, with a sense of unexpected humor."
Born with a gypsy soul, I have a perplexing sense for adventure and an inquisitive view of the often overlooked or under appreciated. I drive thousands of miles every year, on mostly two lane roads. I am always looking out for great lighting, unique faces, interesting architecture and rusty cars.
Known for my fine art portrait work, I strive to capture laugh lines, wrinkles, and the expressions of a life well lived. When I photograph my models, I want to capture the "real" person and not just some one who dresses up for a photographic occasion. I want to photograph the authentic you! The person they are everyday of their life and not the one that shows up in their "Sunday go to meeting clothes."
As an artist, I am consciously aware of the emotional impact my work has on the observer. I have been told that I am an "intuitive shooter". I focus on parts of objects and how light plays upon them. Sometimes, I close my eyes to see better.
To get to this point has taken a long time and a lot of hard work. My interest in photography began back in high school during the days of film (I was lucky enough to have a basement darkroom.). When I entered college I focused my studies around the arts, education and psychology. I obtained a M.A. in Art Therapy. This foundation has given me great insight into the emotional impact of art on the viewer.
If my body of work evokes an emotion from the viewer then I have done my job!
My inspiration comes from living the country life. Things are simple, the pace is slower, and the rat race is far behind me. I have time to explore things that I find interesting.
I also have a great family who supports my crazy desires to always be on the move. They are my biggest cheerleaders, and constant source of encouragement. My family believes in me more than I believe in myself.
My world is blessed beyond belief with their support.
Awards and Recognitions
- Accepted into the Minnesota State Fair Fine Arts Competition. (Sold image)
- Acceptance in to the 2021 Uptown Art Fair, Minneapolis Mn.
- Minneapolis Institute Of Art-5th Annual- Foot In The Door Exhibition-2020-2021-"Harbour."
- Wyoming Area Creative Arts Community, "That's What The Eye Saw' 2020-Peoples Choice Award-"The Warrior"
- Minnesota Newspaper Association, Better Newspaper Press Photographer Contest 2020-1st Place-"Look Out Below"
- ECRAC permanent collection 2020-"The Warrior."
- Vasaloppet Art Show 2019-Judges Choice Award-"The Warrior"
- Augsburg University Alumni Juried Exhibition 2019-3rd. Place-"Dan"
- Minnesota Newspaper Association, Better Newspaper Press Photographer Contest 2018-2nd Place-"So You Want To Be A Cowboy"
- Minnesota State Fair, Fine Arts Exhibition 2016-John
- East Central Regional Arts Council 2016-McKnight Fellowship Artist Award Recipient (now known as Essential Artist Award)
- Minneapolis Photo Center :International Call For Entry, Still Life Exhibition-2015-"The Things We Leave Behind"
- Minnesota State Fair, Fine Arts Exhibition 2015-3rd place-"Adeline's House
- Imager Art Show 2015-Judges Choice Award-"Adeline's House."
- Cambridge Center For The Arts Solo Show 2014-"The Abandoned Farms Of Isanti County"
- Image Art Show 2014-1st. Place-"The Things We Leave Behind."
- East Central Regional Arts Council 2014-Arts And Cultural Heritage Fund Grant Recipient
- Image Art Show 2013-1st. Place-"The Broken Church."
- Solo Exhibit, Cambridge Center For The Arts-2013
- East CentralRegional Arts Council 2013-Individual Artist Grant Recipient
- Augsburg University Alumni Juried Exhibition 2011 -Antelope Canyon-2nd Place
- Image Art Show-2010-1st. Place"Richies Retirement Dream"
Currently I am the President of the Board of Directors for the East Central Minnesota Regional Arts Council (ECRAC). A position I have held sine 2016. In 2020, I was elevated to the position of Vice Chair for the board and promoted to to President in July of 2021.
Have a question?
I may have the answer.
Complete the form below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.